Monday, February 10, 2014

Series Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


Series: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Books: Article 5, Breaking Point, Three
Series' Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Book 1's rating: 4/5 stars- a dystopian rave from the early days that may have been misjudged
Book 2's rating: 3/5 stars- the story is exciting but not so much the characters
Book 3's rating: 3.75/5 stars- why can't Delirium have a clean ending like this

*I received an ARC of Three through a Goodreads giveaway. This has in no way affected my judgement of the series. Thanks to the hosts of the giveaway!

Review:

HEY GUYS I'M SORRY I FAILED TO BLOG AGAIN. So much for my new year's resolution to blog more.

I read Article 5 when the dystopian rage was INSANE. I was heads over heels for the genre at the time, I swore it could do no wrong. As I look back now, I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed Article 5 as much as I did back then if I read it now.

Picking up Breaking Point after it came out was strange. I felt like a part of me had enough of the dystopian genre- I've found tons of other more original dystopian stories that this series no longer held my attention. Also, I seemed to have forgotten a little bit of what had happened in the first book, which is NEVER a good sign with me- I rarely forget what happens in books, and if I forget it, it means the book was forgettable.

However, I got the ARC for Three and I was like: OK DO THIS. So I got my hands on Breaking Point again and pressed on, and actually it wasn't any kind of suffering. I wasn't moaning in pain, but I wasn't super excited either. I was enjoying the action, the fun kind of twists and stuff, but I was completely indifferent about the characters.

Three on the other hand, bumped up the action, which I didn't even think was possible, and I did care for some of the characters, but sadly it was not the main characters.

I'm not going to do a fangirl reaction... because there wasn't really any.

The problem with Article 5 is that it just has a sucky release time. It came out competing with all the other dystopians at the time, and Article 5 was a very classic dystopian story with really nothing new or a fun twist- but it was good at being what it was. However, it paled in comparison to other dystopian stories.

I would say that Article 5 is a classic dystopian series that could be good for first timers to dystopian genre to see how much they really enjoy the genre, and see if they should move on the more complex and unique premises. Otherwise, personally I don't think you're missing much from not reading this series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template