Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Series Review: The Tiger Saga by Colleen Houck

Too lazy to review all the books in the series- so let's do it all at once!



Series: The Tiger Saga
Books: Tiger's Curse, Tiger's Quest, Tiger's Voyage, & Tiger's Destiny
Author: Colleen Houck
Rating: 4.75/5 stars- an epic fantasy adventure and a spellbinding romance.

*NOTE: Carmen realized after saying she was going to do this review that there's another book coming out. Oops. But she has a reason for still doing it. 

*Only the synopsis of the first book will be given to prevent SPOILERS

Synopsis of Tiger's Curse (as found on Goodreads): 

Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.


Review: 

My poor heart, it feels like it's been tramped on, I've had post traumatic fangirl symptoms. I've cried and laughed along with this series and swooned and sighed, and just completely fell heads over heels in love with it. This series utterly captivated me. The beautiful fantasy settings rich with Asian culture with a magical plot and intricate romance, it's a fabulous journey of emotions and a great series for fantasy lovers (a.k.a me).

Let us go through a very unprofessional/somewhat immature rundown of the books in the series according to Carmen's inner crazy fangirl.

*********************************************************************************
Tiger's Curse:

WOW. That was surprisingly good- a really great fantasy read. BUT THE ENDING. O.O

Tiger's Quest:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO US COLLEEN WHYYYYYYYYY

Tiger's Voyage:

WHAT WAIT OMG NO WHAT NO OMG I'M SUDDENLY SO GLAD I HAVE THE FOURTH ONE ON MY SHELF LET ME GO GET IT

Tiger's Destiny:

*cries in dark corner unable to deal with feels and because sad

*********************************************************************************
As you can see... my inner fangirl is incapable of proper grammar and wording and is all round crazy and really bad with dealing with feels. 

The first book was good- it gave a solid base and set the characters at a place where they can begin character development- it doesn't give the best impression and in fact is quite predictable in certain places, but around the middle is when it really starts.

As the series goes on, the books become more and more improved, and the romance? MORE AND MORE AGONIZING. AHHHHHHHH

Personally to me, in terms of characters, I honestly did not care for Kesley- she has a decent voice in this series, but she had way too many self-esteem problems in my opinion, and appearently has trouble understanding her heart. -.-
So yeah... it's Ren and Kishan I love. Can you blame me? One brother is every girl's dream of a romantic boyfriend, quoting Shakespeare, writing poetry and singing the guitar and just all around breathtaking, while the other is quiet and committed, very caring, understanding, and patient, with a playful tease and is completely badass. (Well they're both badass if we're getting technical here.)
Let it be known I completely cursed Colleen Houck for making both of them too damn perfect. WHY.

Writing wise- I like the settings and the worlds that were built, a good plot, a heartwrenching romance that was a wee bit dragged out (too dragged out according to my inner fangirl because it kept killing her), but I wouldn't say Colleen's writing was the best, but nor is it the worse. I think this series is a very rich series in terms of content, but not by writing.

Now, there is supposed to be a fifth book coming called Tiger's Dream... but to those who have read Tiger's Destiny you would understand why I completely thought that was the last book. To me, everything has been wrapped up, and whatever hints that have been left it doesn't really matter to me now. I think I will consider Tiger's Dream as a really really really long extend epilogue novella, and Tiger's Destiny as the last book of the series. I probably will review Tiger's Dream when it releases. :P

Overall, a series that will remain with me for a really long time, and one that'll always remember that made me cry at 12 am alone on the couch while the rest of my family is asleep (like normal people) and utterly broke me. A series that I will always love.

UTTERLY RANDOM FANGIRL BIT THAT IS SOMEWHAT SPOILERY:
Every time I read that Ren calls Kesley iadala, I just completely break down, have this stupid smile on my face and just ahhhh. NO WORDS CAN EXPRESS MY ABSOLUTE HEADS OVER TAIL SWOON BECAUSE HOW ROMANTIC THAT IS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template