Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Series Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Don't deny it it guys, you so knew this was coming.
*SPOILER FREE TO THE BEST OF MY EXTENT. ANY CLUES YOU PICK UP FROM THIS I'M SORRY. 


Series: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Books: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant
Previous Reviews: Divergent, Insurgent
Rating: 5/5 stars- no words can describe all my feelings.

Synopsis of Divergent (as found on Goodreads):

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.


Review:

I'm done Allegiant guys. Finished 4 hours after I got it on the release date and now I bring you my review. This is going to be clean, simple, and probably a lot of feels.

Fangirl Breakdown:

*********************************************************************************
Divergent:
WHAT DID I JUST READ WOWZA THIS IS SO AMAZING. OH MY GOSH MUST READ MORE MORE MORE FOUR MORE MORE DYSTOPIAN.

Insurgent:
Slower... not as interesting in terms of plot but OH MY GOD CLIFFHANGER WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT SDFGJKLGKJHFHDCXV JIOHEBFVCFJDBDV SOMEONE GIVE ME ALLEGIANT.

Allegiant:
*cries
*cries
*cries
*cries
*cries
 *wails
*sits on her bed glancing at the homework she needs to do then glances at her copy of Allegiant and just feel numb. And dead. And alone. And that the world will never be alright again.

*********************************************************************************

I'm really actually kind of like numb guys. That kind of book coma you have after finishing a series- and then add the emotional trauma portion certain books give and you have my current feels.

Divergent was one of the first books I read when my YA addiction kicked in- I read it in the summer of the year before I started high school. This was before Divergent became a worldwide success- it was just a book that reviewers were praising to no end. After reading it- my dystopian addiction was started. I read like EVERY dystopian novel there was at the time. Divergent symbolizes as a book that started me on this path, and it's a book I will forever and ever love.

Insurgent was a lot slower. A lot of my friends couldn't get through it- even though I finished it in one sitting. :P I thought it worked well as character development, and explored a lot of themes and ideas about this series, but definitely what sold it to me was the cliffhanger. Guys, I keep flipping pages, because it COULD NOT END THERE.

The final book was hard for me. Really hard. Somehow, somewhere some instinctive part of me knew it was somehow coming around 3/4 of the book. Some lines tipped me off- certain lines that just made me feeling like this awful thing will happen...

because it has happened in other books. Certain lines in other books totally foreshadowed it subtlety. I guess my brain picked up the pattern.

I understand why it happened. It was a good solution to happen. But make no mistakes IT WAS A HARD SOLUTION. It reflected the qualities and the themes Veronica Roth wanted to represent in this series- but it was hard. I refused to believe it until the end. I'm really conflicted about it. I'm really sad. I'm really depressed. There's just so many emotions within me, swirling like a deadly vortex.

And no kidding guys... I haven't cried like that since I read The Fault in Our Stars. (no, TFIOS is not a spoiler to what happens, I'm just not a big crier. I'm a big sniffer though.)

And I don't think I'll ever really recover.

I think I'm going to add the title of Most Heartbreaking Ending Written with Allegiant. (The one holding the original title was The Fault in Our Stars)

Overall, a great dystopian series really questioning the themes of humanity and what truly makes us a "good" person, giving us great depth in this series.  Veronica Roth,  I will gladly read any more books by you, sad or not.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template