Sunday, January 5, 2014

Best of 2013: Awards! (Day 3 of Blog-A-Thon)

So I get a little creative. (I tried ok.)

DISCLAIMER: Again, personal preference and opinion. Please respect that and if you disagree, comment away (nicely) and let me know what you would have for that award instead. :) 



BEST FIRST BOOK IN A SERIES

The Burning Sky

Stunningly written with a beautiful magical world, The Burning Sky ran away with my love for fantasy and smacked me in the face a couple times with it's intrigue and plot twists. It has almost everything I love in a fantasy, and although there flaws, they are easily overruled by how much I loved the magical elements of the story.

Honourable Mention: The Archived



BEST LAST BOOK IN A SERIES


Clockwork Princess

I think you guys know how much I love this book by now.





Honourable Mention: Champion



BEST DEBUT


My Life Next Door

I struggled for a long time with this one. I was debating between myself which one I wanted for this award, and finally my heart decided on My Life Next Door. It won by it's layered and in-depth characters, and there's no doubt it's a contemporary that ran away with my heart. And the cover. Sigh.

Honourable Mention: Meant to Be




BEST STAND ALONE NOVEL


Eleanor & Park

How many more times do I need to rave about this book. You guys know how much I love it.




Honourable Mention: Fangirl  (Good job Rainbow Rowell, for owning both spots.)



BEST SERIES

Bloodlines

Blowing through the Bloodlines series this year was one of my best decisions. Adrian took more of my heart away if that was even possible. Though it starts off slow, and Sydney doesn't warm up to you right away, you become mesmerized by this series and by the time you're done The Golden Lily, all you can do is lay there and pant on the ground.

Honourable Mention: Legend



BEST CLIFFHANGER

The Eternity Cure

WHYYYYYYYY. MY HEART. IT'S BEEN THROWN AROUND THE ROOM LIKE A BASKETBALL.




Honourable Mention: Prodigy (This might have won if it wasn't for the fact that Champion also came out this year. BUT STILL OMG)



BEST COVER

Meant to Be

IT'S SOOOOOOOO PRETTY. I WANT IT ON MY SHELF.





Honourable Mention: The Art of Wishing



MOST DISAPPOINTING

Requiem

Book, I sentence thee to a forever time out. You shame the series. How could you ruin such a thrilling and excited dystopian series like this? I've never lost respect for an author by this much.



(Dis)Honourable Mention: Undeadly




ULTIMATE TEARJERKER/HEARTBREAKER


Eleanor & Park


You know why.




Honourable Mention: Just One Day




FUNNIEST

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

It came out a long time ago I know. But I only got around to reading it this year and it was HILARIOUS. It was just complete utter fun that complemented the issues the book addresses. It's not a book giving a new perspective of the issue, but it breathes air into it, making it come alive with it's delightful humour.


Honourable Mention: Adrian Ivashkov (OK FINE HE'S NOT A BOOK I KNOW BUT I DON'T CARE.)



LOVE FOUND IN A HOPELESS PLACE
(The book I most did not expect to love)

Hemlock

Grabbing me and thrusting me into it's chilling and mysterious world, Hemlock totally takes the cake for surprising me with it's plot and world. I could not put it down.



Honourable Mention: The Shadow Society




COMA INDUCING
(Bored me to tears)

Devine Intervention

A close runner-up for Most Disappointing as well, it was so dull and ridiculous I almost cried to make things more interesting.

I wanted to cry for my money back.


(Dis)Honourable Mention: Timepiece




SMACK IN THE FACE WHAT
(The most confusing)

Mistwood

Let's not talk about the mess this novel is. Cause I don't even understand what the mess is.




(Dis)Honourable Mention: Mind Games



MOST PREDICTABLE

Dance of Shadows

I guessed basically every twist.





Honourable Mention: Wild Cards (The good kind of predictable. I need some balance.)



MOST UNIQUE PREMISE

Let the Sky Fall

Another favourite, though sadly it just got cut off from my top ten, I still love the premise of this novel. The four winds and how there's a family that understands the language of each wind is beautifully crafted and is just fun to explore. The downfall of this novel is it's romance, but I have high hopes for that to improve in the next book.

Honourable Mention: The Shadow Society



FAVOURITE WORLD/SETTING

The Burning Sky

Like I said, it rivals Harry Potter world status. Of course this was my favourite.




Honourable Mention: Siege and Storm (The beautiful world of the Grisha after Russia.)



BEST PROTAGONIST

Crown of Midnight

Celaena Sardothien: assassin, badass, gorgeous, flawed, reckless, etc.

EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN A PROTAGONIST. Sarah Maas spares no word to give her character as many layers as possible. One of the most fleshed out characters I ever read.

Honourable Mention: Allison Sekemoto (The Eternity Cure)



BEST SIDEKICK

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY. I LOVE TINY.




Honourable Mention: Roar (Through the Ever Night)




*********************************************************************************

END OF BLOG-A-THON!!! I hope you guys had fun with the craze with me. Sorry if it feels repetitive, but I definitely hope to do this again. Maybe with more than just books next year! :) School's starting, but I definitely will try to keep up and get reviews out to you guys. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template