Monday, August 18, 2014

Top Five Overhyped Books (Day #2 of Summer Blog Craze)

WELCOME TO DAY 2! Today is a special today. Um so, today is my rant day. (Actually there's probably more rants coming) I'm really sorry if I listed your favourite book on this list, but that's just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone. These books to me are ridiculously overhyped and I COULD TALK AND TALK AND TALK about why it's bizarre to me. Some of them I didn't even finish. Without further ado, in no particular order, here are my top five overhyped YA books. (minor spoilers below, take caution)

*********************************************************************************

1. Fallen by Lauren Kate 
(read. sadly.)

Oh Fallen. If there is a book that can give YA a bad rep about heroines who are completely useless, Fallen is one of the nominees. Lucinda Price is literally one of the most useless heroines I have come across. From what I can tell (which isn't much) the backstory and ideology could be interesting, about a Fallen angel and like the true love who can never know about it or she dies blah blah, like it could be cool. But a) annoying love interest, b) equally annoying other love interest, c) oh wait right there's another one HEY THAT MAKES A LOVE TRIANGLE, d) Lucinda Price is again, I stress, useless.
This book also attempts to be like dark and poetic and gothic and in my opinion it completely fails at being that. They're making a movie now, so I'm expecting a bunch of merchandise hitting the bookstores, and when that happens, you'll see me face palming in the corner.

2.  I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore 
(dnf at 85%. I normally would've just finished it but yeah.)

This book. IT IS BEYOND ME TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS BOOK GOT SO POPULAR. I don't get it. I just don't get why. I love the ideology of this book, and I actually mean it when I say I love it. But the execution is mucky, boring, plain and unoriginal. The plot (at least in the first one that I could barely read) is predictable, the characters are about as flat as a coffee table, and on top of that they're named JOHN and SARAH. IS THERE A CHANCE YOU COULD'VE USED A COOLER NAME AT LEAST FOR AN ALIEN? (no offense to anyone named John and Sarah) It's like boring on top of boring. The writing is plain and feels so straightforward that I'm pretty sure the "show don't tell" rule went way out of the window. And his pen name kind of pisses me off too. I just really don't like this book. Sigh.

3. Matched/Crossed by Ally Condie 
(somewhat cheating with this one) (read)



Matched. Oh Matched. When I read Matched I thought it was pretty good. Somewhat average in terms of characters but I thought it had potential. Then I got to Crossed. AND CROSSED. HA CROSSED. I WANT MY THREE HOURS OF LIFE BACK. The storyline was flat, I wanted to hit something, and *spoiler, Cassia and Ky were reunited in the most anticlimactic way possible. It's like nothing moved in the plot. I was so bored, I almost told myself halfway to read this book before bed so I could sleep better.  I GET IT. THE SOCIETY SUCKS. THEY WANT YOU TO BE MINDLESS BREEDING MINIONS. GET TO THE FUCKING POINT.



4. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl 
(dnf at like 20% ish)

1) The book is entirely too thick and long
2) It's slower than a snail
3) Lena is annoying
4) Just no.








5. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
(read)

This is the most reluctant one I probably have on my list. I'm really torned with this one actually. Maggie Stiefvater is an amazing writer. I love her writing. Sometimes it gets a little too poetic and slow for me (i.e. why I stopped on The Raven Boys) but it's beautiful nevertheless. But Shiver was so slow, and the subject wasn't original. The only thing that held this book together in my opinion is the writing. I probably would've chucked it into dnf if it was not for that. The characters are boring to me, the plot unoriginal (*I'm kind of cringing as I write that) and I just. I really just didn't like Shiver. I thought The Scorpio Races was OK, and I sorta gave up The Raven Boys (I will get back to it though, I heard it picks up after you drag yourself through it), but Shiver is just meeeeh. It was beautiful, but it was long and boring. It's kind of like one of those classics you read in school and you know it's superior writing, but you can't help but kind of sleep through most of it.

*********************************************************************************
Day 2 complete! I'm sorry if these are any of your favourite books. They just didn't work with me. And releasing all that made me feel really good. I think ranting is good every now and then. Let me know what book you think is overhyped! Love y'all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template